Undertaking-based freelancers can accomplish all kinds of labor, from personalized Shopify themes and private apps to knowledge entry and advertising. However how does an organization discover good freelancers?
For a lot of companies, hiring a freelancer begins on a labor market reminiscent of Upwork, Guru, Toptal, and related. I’ve carried out this myself. I’ve used marketplaces over the previous a number of years to rent dozens of freelance employees for varied initiatives. I’m at present interviewing a number of candidates on Upwork.
Hiring experiences range. I’ve employed freelancers that — in my view — have been dishonest or did shoddy work. However I’ve additionally employed freelancers repeatedly on a number of initiatives, together with a database developer primarily based in India who has carried out a couple of hundred hours of labor. Regardless of the undertaking, freelancers typically outnumber job posters by three to a number of.
Listed below are a couple of ideas, primarily based on my expertise, for hiring freelancers from certainly one of these platforms.
5 Suggestions for Hiring Freelancers
1. Have a well-defined undertaking. An organization would possibly know that it wants a brand new ecommerce theme, an app or extension, or, maybe, assist in organising a Google Advertisements account. Nevertheless it won’t be sufficient to seek out and rent the perfect designer, developer, or marketer for the undertaking.
It is very important assume by the behaviors wanted. Right here’s an instance. Say an organization utilizing Shopify’s primary plan needed a selected delivery habits. When a selected product is added to the cart, the delivery worth turns into zero no matter different delivery profiles or calculations. This sounds easy sufficient, however given the constraints of the fundamental plan, it requires a good quantity of labor.
On this case, it will not be sufficient to easily say, “We’d like a non-public app for buyer delivery.”
2. Talk undertaking particulars. As soon as a enterprise is aware of what it wants, it should clearly talk. Video will be probably the greatest methods to do this.
The corporate can create a video utilizing a display screen seize service reminiscent of Loom or Apple’s QuickTime. The video can exhibit the particular job.
Returning to the non-public app for Shopify, the video would possibly present the present habits on the positioning — when gadgets with totally different delivery profiles are added to the cart, the delivery prices are totaled — and describe the specified habits. In that instance, one product overrides all different delivery prices.
Complement the video with an excellent written description and pictures.
3. Know the way a lot you may spend. After defining the undertaking, set a sensible price range for the work. Additionally, determine if the freelancer can be paid a flat fee or hourly.
A flat fee is simpler for the corporate to price range. Nonetheless, it presents a few potential issues. If it takes extra work than a freelancer anticipated, the undertaking could possibly be “dumped,” which means that the freelancer merely quits and leaves the undertaking solely partly accomplished. This will occur on labor marketplaces and, in my expertise, is extra seemingly with new freelancers.
Conversely, hourly-based initiatives is not going to seemingly get dumped, however they’ll develop costlier if the undertaking proves extra advanced than anticipated.
Neither methodology — flat fee nor hourly — is ideal.
4. Interview a number of candidates. Many freelance labor marketplaces use a bidding or proposal system. An organization posts a job. Freelancers reply with charges, resumes, and proposals. A written dialog follows.
Upon getting narrowed the sector to 2 or three candidates, arrange video calls. Many candidates will reside in time zones removed from your individual — be ready for the scheduling challenges. Nonetheless, you will notice the candidate.
These video interviews are a chance to debate the undertaking additional. You may ask freelancers how they’d deal with the undertaking and make sure they perceive the expectations. And you’ll assess working with an individual.
And, as a pro-tip, file these interviews.
5. Run a check undertaking. Think about a check undertaking to vet candidates for bigger duties, reminiscent of growing an app or making a advertising marketing campaign.
The check undertaking ought to be compensated. It’s not acceptable to ask freelancers to do a check at no cost. It must also be instantly associated to the bigger undertaking.
For instance, if that undertaking is for Shopify app growth, retain the candidate to develop a small non-public app, maybe one which creates a product feed or an index of weblog articles.
Use the check undertaking to gauge the freelancer’s ability and velocity.
Rent the Freelancer
If a enterprise has carried out its finest to outline the undertaking, it’s time to pick a freelancer and get began. Not each rent will work out. However most will.